Pico de Gallo, also known as salsa fresca or salsa cruda, is a fresh tomato salsa made of fresh ripe tomatoes, onions, chili’s (jalapeno, serrano or habanero), cilantro, lime juice and salt.
This traditional Mexican staple is perfect for chips, tacos, fajitas and more. Serve this yummy salsa at your next game day get together, taco party or anytime, really. Add shrimp and/or avocado for a special treat!
To make, I start with fresh, ripe roma tomatoes. I use romas because they are a bit firmer than other tomato varieties, they hold their shape and don’t become mushy in the salsa.
Cut the tops off of the tomatoes and then cut in half crosswise. This makes it easy to remove the seeds out of the pockets. Remove seeds and discard, then dice tomatoes into uniform pieces and place in a large bowl.
Next, chop the onion and jalapeno (stem and seeds removed). Add to the bowl with the chopped tomatoes. Chop cilantro, add to tomato mixture then stir well to combine.
Squeeze in the fresh lime juice and season with salt. Stir well to coat all of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- 5 each roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- Juice of a lime, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut washed tomatoes in half crosswise and remove seeds and top. Dice tomatoes into uniform size and place into a large bowl. Add finely diced red onion, minced jalapeno and chopped cilantro. Stir well to combine. Add lime juice and salt and stir until ingredients are well coated. Enjoy