This French Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole is a delicious combination of tender french green beans, earthy mushrooms and crispy onions cooked in a white wine cream sauce and then topped with more crispy onions and gruyere.
Making it a definite “must have” dish for your holiday table. No canned soup or green beans in this baby! I did use canned crispy onions to save time but you can make your own as well.
I used frozen french green beans because the are already blanched and more readily available in any area. If you are using fresh green beans, be sure to blanch them and then shock in cold water first.
Here are step by step instructions on How to blanch green beans
Why french green beans? They tend to stay tender/crisp, hold their shape and keep their bright green color. And they are more flavorful than their larger counterparts.
Once you try this French Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole, you will never go back to those mushy canned green beans or condensed mushroom soup again.
Add you will get better health benefits from using nutrient rich fresh ingredients and a lot less salt! Real simple ingredients but big on flavor!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced shiitake or chanterelle mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 12 ounce packages frozen french green beans (hericots verts)
- 1 1/2 cups crisp fried onions (I used french’s)
- 1/3 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add shallots and garlic, saute’ for a couple of minutes until soft. Add all of the mushrooms and saute’ until cooked and lightly browned. Add the white wine, bring to a boil and reduce by half. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet add butter and flour, cook stirring often, over med/low heat until very light golden brown. Slowly whisk in the half and half and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Add mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large casserole dish, add the thawed green beans and 1/2 of the crispy onions (3/4 cup). Pour mushroom/cream mixture over the top and stir to evenly coat.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and top the casserole with the rest of the crispy onions and grated cheese. Place back in the oven and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes until crisped and bubbly. Serve.