Happy Sunday Everyone! I hope you had a great week. Are you looking for something simple and healthy to make for your Sunday dinner? Something that is comforting but doesn’t require all day in the kitchen? This Seriously Good Pot Roast is the answer! Tender roast beef, carrots, onions and mushrooms are slow simmered in broth, red wine and savory seasonings. Making it the perfect “one pot meal” for a laid back Sunday afternoon.
And best of all, there are usually leftovers! Making Monday dinner a breeze. I like to use the leftover meat for tacos or enchiladas. Or just create a stew or pot pie.
Tips for Making Pot Roast:
- Brown the meat on all sides. Browning adds flavor! And seals in the juices.
- Brown, saute’ the vegetables. Flavor!
- Deglaze the pan. Those browned bits on the bottom of the pan are more Flavor!
- Add potatoes during the last hour of cooking, otherwise they will overcook and become mush.
- Let the meat rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Make Gravy! Using the juices from the pan. In a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of fat and 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook over low heat until light golden brown. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of hot broth from the pan juices. turn up heat to medium continue whisking and cooking until gravy reaches desired thickness. Adjust seasonings, if needed. Yum!
I made this pot roast in the oven but this recipe can also be done in a slow cooker if you prefer. See the slow cooker instructions in the recipe notes below.
Serve with a fresh loaf of toasted garlic bread or Little Gruyere and Scallion Biscuits.
- Dutch Oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, Julienned
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2-3 pound boneless chuck roast or bottom round roast
- 6 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon italian herbs blend
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil into the bottom of the Dutch Oven and heat on medium/high. Rub roast with salt and pepper and to hot oil, browning well on all sides. Remove from Pan and set aside. Add onions garlic and carrots to the pan and saute' until onions and garlic are soft. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Deglaze the pan with red wine. Place browned roast on top of the vegetables. Add worcestershire sauce, broth and herbs. Cover and place in 350 degree F oven for approx. 2 1/2-3 hours, until roast is fall apart tender. If you want to add potatoes to the roast, add them in the last hour of cooking time. Or, serve with mashed potatoes, Yum!