This Lemony Whole Roasted Chicken is the perfect spring comfort food. it’s full of garlic and lemony goodness and is perfect with lightly whipped mashed potatoes and some spring roasted asparagus.
And did I mention it is super easy to make? Score! My goal here is to create recipes that are not only full of flavor but also simple to make. I mean, who has time to spend all day in the kitchen, even if you love to cook! So here we go. Let’s make some chicken.
How to make Lemony Whole Roasted Chicken
- Pre heat you oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, drizzle olive oil and add onions and celery.
- Cook the onions and celery on the stove top until lightly caramelized. This adds flavor! Remove from heat.
- Take the whole chicken and remove the little packet of goodies from the inside (if it has them). Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Place the butter up under the skin of the chicken breast area.
- In a bowl mix together the lemon garlic marinade, pour and rub all over the chicken including some on the inside.
- Place chicken in the dutch oven on top of the onion and celery.
- Carefully pour the broth around the chicken, don’t rinse off that yummy marinade
- Place chicken in pre heated oven uncovered for 15 minutes. Then lower heat and cover with the lid and cook for about an hour. chicken is done when it reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the oven. remove lid and let chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
How to make pan gravy
- Pour the pan juices from the chicken into a gravy separator. You will need one cup. If you don’t have quite enough, add some chicken broth to make it a cup.
- In a pan, melt the butter, stir in the flour to combine over low to medium heat. Stir and cook the flour mixture for a couple of minutes until it becomes a very light golden color.
- Slowly whisk in the pan juices.
- Turn up the heat to medium high, stirring constantly until gravy reaches desired thickness. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over chicken and mashed potatoes.
How do I use leftover chicken?
- If I have any leftover chicken I pick it off of the bone and store in a baggie in the fridge for another day. Save any leftover pan juices and gravy. This will make a great soup! Not in the mood for soup? try these other ideas.
- Use chicken to make burritos, enchiladas or tacos
- It’s also perfect for a quick stir fry with veggies
- Homemade chicken pot pie
- Chicken fried rice
- Chicken Salad
- Coronation Chicken Salad (Curry Chicken Salad
- Chenin Blanc
- Pinot Gris
- Lemony Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Noir
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, julienne
- 1 stalks celery, sliced
- Lemon Garlic Marinade
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 1/2 lb Whole Chicken
Lemon Garlic Marinade
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the pan gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter or fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup broth
For the Chicken
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a large dutch oven, add olive oil, onion and celery. saute' until the onions begin to caramelize. Remove from heat and set aside
- Rnse chicken with cold water and then pat dry. put the butter under the skin of the breast area of the chicken
- In a bowl, Whisk together the lemon marinade. Rub the marinade all over the chicken and inside the cavity. Place chicken in the dutch oven on top of the onion and celery.
- Place in the oven at 425 degrees F.uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and place the lid on the pot. cook about 1 hour more until done. !65 dereees F internal temperature on an instant reed thermometer.
- Remove from oven and let chicken rest uncovered for 15 minutes before serving.
For the pan Gravy
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until light golden in color.
- Slowly whisk in the broth/pan juices. Turn up the heat and continue whisking until gravy reaches desired thickness.
- Serve over chicken and mashed potatoes. Yum!