This Spicy Corn Maque Choux (pronounced: “mock shoe”) is my spiced up version of the classic Cajun/Creole dish. And the perfect way to cook up some fresh summer corn.
The main key to making this tasty dish is to use fresh corn cut off the cob. And make sure to get all that milk from the corn as well. That’s what makes it taste so fresh and delicious.
Once the Corn is cut off the cob, it gets sauteed with some onions, peppers and garlic until tender. Then we spice it up with a bit of fresh jalapeno pepper and some cajun spice. And for the finish…..Some heavy cream and a handful of fresh chopped cilantro. Oh my goodness! it is so good!
It is my new “go to” side dish for summer. Super easy to make and so absolutely delicious! I think it will become your “go to” side as well.
Serve this Spicy Corn Maque Choux as a side to Spicy Shrimp and Andouille Sausage or this Spice Rubbed Roasted Salmon With Pear And Arugula Salad
Best wines to serve with spicy Cajun/Creole cuisine:
- Rose or Blush wines even the bubbly ones are some of the most food friendly wines!
- Dry white wines that that are Not aged in oak: Sauvignon Blanc,Dry Riesling, Unoaked Chardonnay, Muscadet
- Sparkling wines: Prosecco is my favorite! Champagne, Cava
- Semi-sweet: Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Chenin Blanc, Muscato
- Lighter reds: Pinot Noir, Grenache
- 4 corn on the cob, shuck, remove all of the silk, Cut off of the cob.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion, small diced
- 2 mini red peppers, small diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning I used paul prudhomme's magic seasoning "poultry magic"
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a pan, add the corn, garlic, peppers and onions. saute' over medium heat until tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Add the minced jalapeno and the cajun seasoning, cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer until nice and creamy.
- Toss in the cilantro and salt and finish with some black pepper to taste. Enjoy!
The section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!