These Za’atar Seasoned Grilled Carrots are are so good, you’re gonna fall in love with carrots all over again! No more boring carrots sticks. Your veggie tray is gettin’ an upgrade!
What is Za’atar?
It’s a delicious, savory Mediterranean spice blend that has been around, well, since the beginning of time. But has, in recent years, become all the rage in the culinary field. And for good reason. It’s delicious! and very versatile. The spice blend consists of salt, toasted sesame seeds, ground sumac, oregano, marjoram and thyme.
And, as of late, I have been using it in just about everything! Enter these yummy grilled carrots. The recipe is quite simple but ohhhh so delicious!
How to make these yummy grilled carrots:
Start off by peeling, and washing about 8 large organic carrots. Cut the ends off and then cut in half lengthwise. Then place the carrots in a steamer and cook until just barely done, tender/crisp.
Transfer the par-cooked carrots to a dish, pour the marinade over and toss to coat. Place the carrots in the refrigerator to marinate for about an hour.
Now it’s time to grill. We are only a few minutes away from veggie deliciousness! Place the carrots on a grill at medium/high heat. This is gonna be quick, you only want to get a nice char on them as they as already cooked.
Quickly char the carrots on both sides and the remove to cool. These are perfect served at room temperature. Add these yummy grilled carrots to veggie trays or simply serve them on their own as a vegetable side.
Looking for other delicious veggie inspired recipes?
- Check out this Roasted Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Lemon Basil Pasta Salad With English Peas
- Pasta Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas and Creamy Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- 8 large organic carrots, peeled, washed, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons za'atar seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon organic tomato paste
For the carrots
- Peel and wash the carrots. Cut off both ends and then slice down the middle, lengthwise.
- Place the carrots in a hot steamer pan and cook until tender/crisp about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to a dish and cover with marinade. toss to coat.
- Place the dish of carrots in the refrigerator to to marinate for about an hour.
- Carefully place the marinated carrots on hot grill and cook just until charred nicely on both sides.
- Remove from grill and serve warm or at room temperature.
For the marinade
- Add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
This yummy marinade for Za’atar Seasoned Grilled Carrots is not exclusively for carrots. Try it on all of your grilled vegetables. You’ll be glad you did!