This Coronation Chicken Salad is a combination of savory with a little bit of sweet. It’s simple, creamy, balanced flavor has a nice complexity that does not overpower and keeps you wanting to come back for more.
Tender chunks of roasted chicken, dried currents, savory shallots and chives blended with a light and tangy curry scented mayonnaise. Completely delicious on it’s own but even better in sandwich form.
Where did Coronation Chicken originate?
Coronation Chicken was originally created in 1953 for the banquet proceeding the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Originally named Poulet Reine Elizabeth on the menu. Now translated to coronation chicken. It is still served today and one of the nations most beloved dishes.
The original recipe contained dried apricots but many new versions contain raisins or currants and sometimes apples and sliced almonds. The creamy dressing is mayonnaise based and seasoned with tangy mango chutney, curry powder and other seasonings.
My first experience with this yummy chicken salad was at an afternoon tea restaurant. I loved it so much that I had to recreate it!
It’s surprisingly simple to make But be careful, you won’t want to stop at one bite!
How to make this chicken salad:
- Start with some simple roasted chicken and dice into small chunks
- Add some minced shallot and minced chives
- Add the dried fruit. I used dried currents for this recipe
- Add the mayonnaise, mango chutney, curry powder, salt and pepper
- With a rubber spatula stir all ingredients together until well combined and all of the chicken is coated well
How to make finger sandwiches:
- Cut the crust off of some good quality white bread
- Spread with mayonnaise
- On the bottom slice place a layer of very thinly sliced cucumber and then top with micro greens or spring mix
- On the top slice, spread an even amount of the chicken salad
- Place top slice onto the bottom slice to make a sandwich.
- Cut sandwich into finger sized pieces or triangles.
What to serve with chicken salad sandwiches or afternoon tea:
- Lemon Basil Pasta Salad With English Peas
- Little Gruyere and Scallion Biscuits
- Italian Almond Cake
- Scones, Crumpets
- Jam and lemon curd
- Fresh fruit and berries
- French Macarons, little cookies and cakes
- Assorted teas
- 2 cups small diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir until all ingredients are well combined.