Summer Heirloom Tomato BLT Sandwich: Juicy ripe heirloom tomatoes, pancetta bacon, baby lettuces, creamy avocado, egg aioli and fresh basil leaves. Yum!
Summer’s bounty is in full swing. One of my favorite things about summer, besides sunshine and longer days, are those fresh juicy summertime tomatoes! So flavorful and juicy. They are amazing on their own, sliced and sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper. And they make the best BLT sandwiches!
My inspiration for this sandwich, not only came from the gorgeous heirloom tomatoes that I keep seeing, but also from a sandwich that I had a few years back at a little coffee shop in town.
It was called the TaBLe sandwich. Which consisted of tomato, avocado, bacon, lettuce and egg aioli on toasted whole grain seeded bread. So Yummy!
My Summer Heirloom BLT Sandwich takes the traditional BLT sandwich to the next level by using juicy fresh ripened heirloom tomatoes, crispy pancetta bacon, baby lettuces and fresh basil leaves.
To make this simple and yummy sandwich, I started by making the egg aioli. Combining mayonnaise, pureed fresh garlic, finely chopped hard cooked egg (whites only) and a bit of freshly ground black pepper
Next, I cooked up eight slices of pancetta bacon (I like Molinari’s brand) by placing it on a greased, foil-lined sheetpan and baking in a 375 degree F oven until crispy (about 15 minutes).
While the bacon is cooking, slice the tomatoes and avocados. Once the bacon is done, place on paper towels to absorb the oil. Then lightly toast eight slices of whole grain seeded bread.
Spread a layer of egg aioli onto the bottom slice of the of the sandwich.
Top the egg aioli with some of the baby lettuce pieces.
On top of that, add two pieces of the pancetta bacon slices.
Then two slices of ripe juicy heirloom tomato.
Add the slice avocado and a few fresh basil leaves.
Place the other slice of toasted bread on top. Slice sandwich in half (held together with sandwich picks) and serve immediately.
Serve this delicious sandwich with Warm Green Bean and Fingerling Potato Salad with Caramelized Shallots and Crispy Bacon or Lemon Basil Pasta Salad With English Peas.
- 8 slices whole grain seeded bread
- 8 slices pancetta bacon
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- baby lettuces or 4 leaves of leaf or bibb lettuce
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon pureed fresh garlic about 3 whole cloves
- 2 hardcooked eggs (whites only), finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the aioli:In a bowl, add the mayonnaise. Puree garlic by using a mortar and pestle or you can mince garlic and then mash with the side of knife on a cutting board. Moving back an forth until mashed into a puree. Add the puree to the mayonnaise. stir well to combine. Add the chopped egg white and season with pepper. Stir to combine.For the sandwich:Lay out the pancetta on a greased, foil lined sheet pan. Cook the bacon in a 375 degree F oven until crisp. Turning once to cook evenly. About 15 minutes.Slice tomatoes and avocado. Lightly toast bread.Spread a layer of egg aioli onto bottom slice of sandwich toast. Top with lettuce, bacon, tomato, avocado and then basil leaves. Top with other slice of toasted bread. Hold together with sandwich picks. Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.Enjoy!