This Southern Cornbread Dressing is so simple to make and so delicious to eat! It has been a staple at our Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember. And a favorite!
I make the cornbread (recipe below) and chop the onions and celery a day or two before, making it a breeze to put together on Thanksgiving day. Or you can make the whole thing in advance and just pop in the oven the day of.
If you make it up the day before, add an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time. I recommend using the recipe for Mom’s Cornbread to make this dressing. But if you use a different one, make sure that it is a savory cornbread, not a sweet cornbread.
Of course this delicious southern cornbread dressing can be served any time of the year, I like to serve it with:
Check out these other delicious side dishes:
- Red Potato Gratin with Caramelized Shallots and Crispy Prosciutto
- Simply Delicious Deviled Eggs
- French Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole
- Autumn Broccoli Salad
I hope you love my Mom’s Southern Cornbread Dressing as much as I do!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups celery, small diced
- 2 cups yellow onion, small diced
- 1 recipe Mom’s Cornbread
- 1-12 ounce package herb seasoned cubed stuffing I used Pepperidge Farm. Make sure to used the cubed stuffing.
- 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Make 1 recipe of Mom’s Cornbread. You can make this a day or two beforehand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a large ceramic or glass rectangular casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, break up the cornbread into small chunks.
- In a large high-sided skillet melt butter. Add celery and onions and cook, stirring often until soft and lightly browned. Add sage and thyme. Add cubed stuffing and stir well to combine.
- Add the crumbled cornbread to the pan. stir to combine.
- Add broth 1 cup at a time stirring after each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop into the buttered casserole dish lightly pressing it in.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, until lightly browned and heated through.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Butter cast iron skillet and then sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal. Heat pan in the hot oven.
Beat egg and then mix in remaining ingredients until smooth. pour batter into the hot skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes until done.
Cut into wedges and serve with butter.
The section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Asian Pear and Arugula Salad ⋆December 28, 2019 at 9:22 pm
[…] Mom’s Southern Cornbread Dressing […]